Saturday, June 28, 2008

One month of blogging, and I got nothing?

Writer's block can be a real bitch. I've only been doing this for a month, and I feel like I'm tapped. I've started a few posts, but they were even less entertaining than "Super Troopers." That's saying a LOT. I know I could take some heat for this, but that movie is horrible.
My life has just been really uneventful recently. There is something in the works for next summer though. My friend, Jim and I were brainstorming something "big" to do while we're still young, and given the astronomical prices of international travel, we decided to do something stateside. We decided, given that we are both real rugged outdoorsmen, that we would canoe a significant length of the Allegheny River. The kicker is that neither of us has a canoe or really any significant canoeing experience.
The good news is that we have almost a full year to prepare. We're looking at next May. It will still be cool in Pennsylvania then, and the water will be frigid, but we're determined. If you've got any advice, warnings, etc, please don't hesitate to share.
Also, Jim told me about Enneagram, and we came to the conclusion that I'm a pretty strong 4, but it turns out I'm also a pretty heavy 7 with some 3 and 5 mixed in, and just a dash of 9. I don't know what to make of all that stuff, but it's fun, and it can help make you at least feel better that there are other people who have the same hesitations and fears and whatnot.
I'm also planning on recording a CD this summer, but I have to get some things together. More on that later, and I apologize if you were looking for a funny post or something, but this is what I got now.

If you're gonna post a comment, why don't you take a free enneagram test online (there are probably hundreds) and post what type you are. Could be fun. Also, when you tell someone to do something like I just did, do you end that with a question mark?

Thanks for reading. I mean it.

Follow up: I'm up late, because I can't sleep. Lots weighing on my mind so I figured I'd let you in on a little secret from my night while I'm still up: I went to the movie in swim trunks. That was a different kind of adventure for me. I found the lightness of the fabric and the liner-in-lieu of standard GI undies allowed for comfort and breathe-ability. Plus, if there were a water park on the way home, I would have been set. "Get Smart" was definitely a summer fun movie. Not a whole lot of substance really, but it certainly was entertaining.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

My mom showed me this a while ago and I'm a hard-core 9 all the way. If you go to www.enneagraminstitute.com you can read about how compatible you are with other numbers (if you know other friends' numbers) and it is totally true!

I think it is a good idea to canoe with Jim next year. Everyone could use a good American adventure out in the wild.

Jim L said...

I just took a test and 2, 4, 5, 7 and 9 all tied for first place. I think in a fight, maybe 7 would win? I also think a monkey could do better than me on this test.

As to the canoeing, I think we need to step it up a notch. I've become fascinated with the plight of Cairo, IL - I say we canoe there from Pittsburgh (981 miles) and then work for a year at the local ice cream place.

Uncle Bryan said...

From simple minds:

Type 1 Perfectionism |||||||||||| 42%
Type 2 Helpfulness |||||||||||| 46%
Type 3 Image Focus |||||||||||||||| 62%
Type 4 Hypersensitivity |||||| 22%
Type 5 Detachment |||||||||| 38%
Type 6 Anxiety |||||||||||||| 54%
Type 7 Adventurousness |||||||||||||||| 66%
Type 8 Aggressiveness |||||||||||| 50%
Type 9 Calmness |||||||||||||||| 62%

I'm adventurous, yet calm and all the while vain.